Here are the top 10 tips for staying safe
around trees and power lines.
1. Never climb in or play in trees
that are growing next to power lines.
2. Never touch a power line with
your hand or with any other object.
3. Don't build a tree house or anything
else in a tree that is next to power lines.
4. Never climb power poles or steel
towers that have electric wires attached to them.
5. Fly kites in open areas, far
from overhead power lines.
6. Tell an adult if you see trees
growing close to high-voltage power lines or contacting these lines.
7. If you see a fallen power line,
stay away and tell an adult immediately. Even if they are not sparking
or humming, fallen lines can kill you if you touch them or the ground
8. Never trim a tree next to a high-voltage
power line. Certified professional tree trimmers are the only ones
allowed to trim trees near high-voltage lines.
9. Plant trees that will not grow
tall or wide enough to contact nearby power lines.
10. Before planting a tree, call
1-800-227-2600 to make sure you won't contact
underground power lines.